Lone Star CASA
Serving Rockwall and Kaufman Counties
We appreciate your interest in Lone Star CASA. If you are interested in applying for any of our available positions, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Child Advocacy Specialist
Full Job Description PDF – Child Advocacy Specialist
Job Title: Child Advocacy Specialist Category: Exempt Full-time position
Reports to: Program Manager
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university (preferably in human services or related field) or minimum of four years commensurate experience
- Experience in providing staff or volunteer supervision and ability to manage people.
- Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills
- Recognize and respect the sensitive nature of the work and maintain confidentiality
- The ability to work cooperatively with individuals of diverse racial, economic and cultural backgrounds
- Experience in working with computer software: Microsoft Office suite including Power Point
- Highly organized, self-motivated, flexible team player with strong organizational skills with ability to meet deadlines
Summary of Responsibility:
The Child Advocacy Specialist will supervise CASA volunteers as they advocate in the best interest
of children who’ve been abused or neglected and are now involved in a legal case with Child
Protective Services. This role is responsible for carrying out the Lone Star CASA mission. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise CASA volunteers, providing guidance, direction and motivation
- Assist the volunteer advocate in identifying permanency planning issues for children while steadily moving the case forward toward the goal of a safe and permanent placement.
- Attend and participate in staff and case‐related meetings including, but not limited to, Permanency Conferences, court hearings, CFEs, family conferences and any other case related meetings.
- Support and supervise volunteer advocate’s court reports, court attendance and testimony
- Assist with volunteer recruitment, retention and recognition activities
- Keep accurate record of dates of Hearings, Trials, PPT’s and other necessary meetings
- Assist in making contacts and/or visits when needed
- Keep an up to date list of community resources and provide information to volunteer advocates as needed
Casework and Documentation
- Represent CASA to the court, to child welfare agencies including CPS, and other community agencies who serve abused and neglected children and their families
- Work cases as a staff advocate when volunteers are not available and maintain accurate and timely records
- In coordination with Program Manager, collect and verify volunteer’s monthly contact/time/mileage logs from Optima
- Report concerns regarding volunteer advocates to the Program Manager and Executive Director
- Participate and lead initial volunteer training as requested
- Participate and lead in monthly CASA continuing education activities as requested
- Complete a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education annually and attend national, regional, and state conferences and meetings when appropriate.
- Collaborate with other local and state organizations when needed
- Assist in activities and events as directed
- Complete special projects and tasks as assigned by the Program Manager or Executive
- Attends and participates in community meetings or outreach opportunities as directed by Executive Director or Program Manager Director
- Other duties may be assigned
Conditions of Employment
- Schedule includes regular office hours and some evening and weekend work, requires flexibility and availability
- Must have daily transportation
- Must pass all background checks
- Ability to sit and type at computer for at least 7 hours per workday
- Participate in continuing education opportunities as appropriate
- Ability to lift 10-15 pounds for office supplies or AV equipment
- Occasionally carry out or assist with other duties not listed on this job description
Lone Star CASA is an “equal opportunity employer.” The employer will not discriminate and will take “affirmative action” measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.
For more information or to apply, please email email@example.com
Interested in Volunteering?
If you are interested in volunteering with the Lone Star CASA program please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.